Department of Emergency Medicine
The Department of Emergency Medicine handles thousands of complex cases at hospitals and clinics throughout Central Texas. Department chair C. Keith Stone, MD, leads a team that provides excellent emergency patient care while upholding Scott & White's reputation as a center of diagnostic and clinical excellence.
- A busy primary training site that saw more than 85,000 patients in the last year
- Only tertiary care referral center and only Level 1 Trauma Center in the area
- 573 hospital beds with 47 ED rooms, including six major resuscitation
- Brand new Children's ED (October 2011) housing 14 beds, including two resuscitation bays
- Charts are completed with a computerized template system and dictation for all resuscitations
- Comprehensive electronic medical records maintained for all patients
- EKGs, PACS radiology system, and complete patient charts including labs and other studies are available in one concise system
- Provides online medical control for the regional ground, critical care and air EMS services
- Scott & White also houses the Central Texas Poison Control Center which operates under the direction of the Emergency Department
Scott & White offers courses designed to enhance the skills of medical professionals involved in the care of injured patients.
- Training for residents and medical students
- A sponsored three-year Emergency Medicine Residency Program
- Required fourth-year rotation for our medical students
Scott & White is a recognized leader in research. Through interdisciplinary involvement, on-going studies offer cutting-edge advances in trauma care. Current areas of investigation at Scott & White include management of burns, vascular permeability in trauma, cervical spine injuries and trauma in the elderly.
Level I Trauma Center
The Scott & White Trauma Center - the only designated Level 1 Trauma Center between Dallas and Austin- utilizes the services of many specialties, including orthopedics, general surgery, rehabilitation, plastic surgery and more. These specialists are available 24/7 to provide care to the hundreds of trauma patients who come through ours doors. In addition, they are supported by a staff of nurses, therapists, social workers and injury-prevention specialists.
Contact the Department of Emergency Medicine
Trauma Transfer Hotline: 1-877-427-4159
The Trauma Center has a special phone number for referring a patient to the Center. This hotline provides an automatic transfer to an accepting physician and is intended to streamline the process and reduce the time spent on the phone.